- Grass Fed Beef
Grass Fed Beef
Did you Know?
Researchers are finding that grass-fed beef is far better for your health than the grain-fed beef we find in the supermarket (supplied by Confined Animal Feeding Operations-CAFOs). Check this out!
- The ideal ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in our diet is 1 to 2. Grain-fed beef can easily exceed a ratio of 1 to 20, while grass-fed beef stays in the 1 to 2 ratio range.
- Incorporating Omega 3 in the diet can help prevent high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, heart attack, depression, schizophrenia, ADD, and Alzheimer’s disease. It can also significantly decrease the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
- Grass-fed beef is a rich source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). CLA is a powerful antioxidant and has been shown to lower a woman’s risk of breast cancer by 60%!
- Grass-fed beef naturally contains 4x more Vitamin E than grain-fed beef that has been supplemented with it! Vitamin E is also an antioxidant.
- Grass-fed beef naturally protects you from the harmful effects of genetically modified grains. The proteins in GMO grains are not as easily digested, and can cause obesity, digestive disorders, and a compromised immune system.
In Confined Feedlot operations:
~The cows are commonly fed GMO corn and soy based feeds that compromise their health and facilitate a need for antibiotics and supplements.
~The concentrated manure becomes a management issue and sanitary hazard, rather than naturally enriching the land.
~Producing and feeding the grain that each cow consumes requires a large amount of petroleum, which also taxes the environment.
Here at Faithful Farms, our cows are raised in harmony with God’s natural design:
~ They are allowed to graze freely on nutrient dense grass that is never treated with chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
~ They are never given the grains that their digestive system was not designed to handle.
~ Our herd is handled gently. Although we visit them frequently, they are not subjected to the stress of excessive handling.
~They are allowed to grow at a natural pace without the use of hormones. They are naturally very healthy, and we do not need to use antibiotics.
~ Our calves are born, raised and finished here on the farm. This allows us to steward them carefully and ensure that we are providing you with an excellent product.
We are building a herd of Murray Greys here in Northeast Georgia. This beef breed was developed in Australia during the early 1900s. By 1950, Australian butchers were willing to pay top dollar for these animals. They are highly sought after for their outstanding meat quality and ability to efficiently finish out well on grass. On good pasture, they make good weight gains and produce well-marbled, tender beef without the use of grain-based feeds.
Murray Greys came to America in the late 1960s, and continue to grow in popularity as a viable option for exclusively grass-fed beef. There are still relatively few herds here in the United States. We are currently working to bring in some high quality genetics from favorite Australian bulls to more rapidly improve our herd, and pursue excellence in our beef.
The Murray Greys’ gentle temperament makes them very easy and enjoyable to work with. They have learned to respond to our call, which prevents the typical stress involved in a round-up. From the time they are born on the farm, they are able to graze freely with minimal handling.
Our pasture is a medley of bermuda and fescue grasses, red and white clovers and vetch. It is never sprayed with chemicals for weed control (we rely on our goat herd and the occasional bush hog for that). During the coldest winter months, we have supplemented the cows with Bermuda hay, and are excited to be introducing fresh barley fodder as their primary source of nutrition this winter!
Along with the pasture, the cows have open access to kelp and minerals. By maintaining a breeding program, we are building our herd from within, and preventing much of the diseases that come with bringing new animals to the pasture. We are working to build their health naturally, in order to avoid any need for medical intervention. We do not use hormones or antibiotics.
We look forward to building our herd and providing you with excellent grass-fed beef!